Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Community Service-Ushering the Orchestra Concert

Last Monday, I volunteered to usher at the Spring Orchestra Concert. I got there 45 minutes before the concert, with two other volunteers, and we watched the concert orchestra rehearse while we waited for instructions. We made sure no one came into the Performing Arts Center before the directors wanted them in and, after that, we passed out programs that mapped out the concert for parents and peers. Finally, when we were allowed to let people in, we continued passing out programs, greeting people, and wishing them a good time at the concert. The night of the concert was also the night of the Art Festival/Show and so many parents were confused on the locations, so I helped them and even walked some of them halfway to the fieldhouse. Then, this mother came up to me and said that her phone had died and that when she was calling her daughter before, she hadn't been able to get a hold of her. She was scared because her daughter walked home from school that day and was supposed to call her when she got home, but she didn't. I let her use my phone and thankfully, her daughter picked up the house phone and assured her that she was fine.

I felt really helpful at the event and I felt like I made a difference when I helped some people. Even just a simple smile or greeting can make someone's day, especially when they are a parent who is going to their child's concert after working all day. I was really glad that I could help calm down a worried mother, especially when I knew that I would want someone to do the same for my mother in that type of situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment